Interview With
Eliot Coleman

Dateline: 28 May 2016

Eliot Coleman
(photo link)

My introduction to Eliot Coleman came back in the 1970's when he was featured in Organic Farming & Gardening magazine (I still have that issue somewhere). Eliot is now 77 years old, and is the elder statesman of American organic gardeners.

If you're any kind of a gardener, you have at least one of Eliot Coleman's gardening books. Click on the photo link under his picture and you'll find a "fertile dozen" of vintage gardening-related books (besides his own) that he recommends. I just tracked down a couple of the less expensive ones and ordered them.

Better yet, if you want to listen to a great (and fairly recent) interview with Eliot Coleman, click here: Eliot Coleman on the Importance of Observation and Making the Soil Work For Your Farm.

I enjoyed the interview so much that I've listened to it twice.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great Interview, and I have his book "Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long" I purchased back in 2009. I'm going to have to check out his more recent books. I decided a long time ago that older books were a great place to find out what they did to grow great veggies, when growing your own food was vital to life. Mid 1800's, and there is a ton of information about plants that they used to add to their soil for great harvests. Of course that sometimes means finding that plant today, and that's not always easy. If there is one lesson I have learned over the years, it's that not all organic, is really organic, and that we have to do all we can to make sure that we use, natural growing or "watched" items before we put them in our garden. Natural plants, and "watched" meaning sure of the source of the product. Thank you for a wonderful Interview, and some great books. Sheila

Herrick Kimball said...

Sheila,

I'm glad you had a chance to listen to the interview. Yes, all organic is not organic. When the government started regulating the use of the word, the whole organic movement was (and is) destined to be perverted to allow large corporate interests to profit from it. I'll be giving away some Eliot Coleman books for my next Planet Whizbang Giveaway. Thanks for the comment.

49682b said...

Great interview! Thank you for sharing! Eliot Coleman is truly innovative and unique when it comes to the production of quality health-laidened vegetables and fruits. Hard to beat such success, however, Eliot keeps trying!